Historic Preservation Project of the Cathedral of Ani (1200 sqm)
Ani Archaeological Site, Kars - Turkey
Client/Funding Agency: Ministry of Culture and Tourism and World Monuments Fund
06 July 2012 -
Project: The medieval city Ani flourished in the 10th Century when the famous trade route, known as Silk Road, moved to the North. Armenians, Georgians, Kurds and Turks ruled and contributed to the city until a disastrous earthquake in 1319. It was finally abandoned following the Mongolian invasion in 1331 together with the development of new trade routes.
The Cathedral, or Surp Asdvadzadzin, is the largest building in Ani archaeological site survived to date. Built in 1001 during the rule of the Bagratid Kingdom as the main church of the city was converted to a mosque after Alpaslan’s conquest of Ani in 1064. Although restored in 1215 its conical roof has totally collapsed during the 1319 earthquake.
The aim of the conservation project is to structurally stabilize the monument besides architectural documentation, research and analyses. Proposal brings various phases of interventions, research and continuous monitoring; and design of a temporary roof over the dome opening.
Services rendered: 3D Laser Scanning-Survey, documenting, historical research, various analyses, design, working drawings, details, engineering drawings and tender documents.